Monday, September 17, 2018

Opposing Viewpoints



Besides this blog I also have an ezine that includes posts from here with the addition of a letters column.  In the last issue -- Ray X X-Rayer #141 -- Bob Jennings (Fadeaway zine) wrote in his LOC some negative comments regarding Dr. Robin Wright.  Robin is known for submitting dense philosophical essays addressing science fiction symbolism.  Below is Robin's email to me which includes Bob Jennings' criticism.

* * *

Subject: Sick and not a doctor   
robin usher<robika2001@yahoo.co.uk>
Attachment - Sat, Sep 15, 2018 at 9:43 PM
To: raypalmx@gmail.com


Hi, I wrote to Robert asking him to retract these remarks that somehow found their way into what at first sight seemed a fairly innocuous letter to X - Ray # 141.
However, he wrote that it was his opinion, although I've never written anything remotely approaching this as a summarization of my writing, '... evil womankind is corrupting the human race and destroying civilization.' I'm appending a letter so that the readers of X - Ray can make up their own minds, if that's acceptable to you?

Dr Robin Bright PhD

(NOTE FROM RAY: What follows is Bob Jennings' LOC comment Bright reprinted in his email.  He didn't indicate the source.)

'“Dr”. Robin Bright sent a lot of articles to me years ago, hoping to get something in my fanzine Fadeaway. Needless to say I accepted nothing he wrote. I think the guy is a genuine nut case. Everything he ever writes, no matter how well it starts out, quickly turns into a tirade about “women’s seed”, and how evil womankind is corrupting the human race and destroying civilization. The stuff is not unintentionally humorous; it’s just sick and sad, and not even logically written either. I admit I was shocked when one of his articles appeared in one of John Purcell’s fanzines. I’m glad John has since repented that rash decision and has disassociated himself from “Dr.” Bright.'


* * *

(And this is what Bright wrote in his attached doc file:)

Robert Jennings of Fadeaway suggested I was sick, and not a doctor, in a letter to X –Ray, # 141, September, 2018. I don’t want to be sick, and I take exception to being told that this summarizes what I write, '... evil womankind is corrupting the human race and destroying civilization.' (p. 4) Moreover, I think that English is a beautiful language, and I don’t want it to be plain. However, this is as plain as I can make it, without being a muzzle ‘em:


Flesh Fiction 

Bartholomew made a stab at what appeared to be a large fat sausage on his plate. Moving aside what looked like a couple of large potatoes, he made another stab at the apparent sausage, `Phew! It`d be difficult for the woman to sexually reproduce human brains without her penis.` Bartholomew chewed on fully thoughtful.

Robin Bright


*  *  *
In a follow-up email Robin Bright wrote:

Subject: "Dr"
robin usher

Hi Ray, although I studied Human Biology (O) at school, it wasn't to the level of a Professorial chair. I quite understand your decision not to publish an article. Please, go ahead and publish my letter.

Robin Bright

* * *
Information about Robin Bright can be found here.


No comments: