Saturday, November 03, 2007


The Solution Is Now A Problem


Sleep apnea prevents proper rest. Airways constrict, the sufferer gasps for air, the sleep cycle is constantly interrupted.

CPAP is one solution. Continuous Positive Airway Pressure. Strap on the mask, activate the unit, and the increased pressure keeps the airways open during sleep.

As I’ve mentioned before I’ve been trying to deal with sleep apnea by using CPAP. But lately I’ve been hitting a wall.

Dead tired, I put on the mask. The machine activates and – bang! – I’m wide-awake. It’s refreshed me.

Or I do drift off but the mask slips and the seal starts leaking, “farting” with each breath. Adjust the mask. Drift off, move in bed a little, and then leaking air starts hitting my eyes. Another adjustment. And then another. I get pissed off after an hour of such torture and then give up, ripping off the mask. Then I finally fall asleep but I’ve lost an hour.

Of course, it isn’t a deep sleep, but at least it’s some rest. Lousy sleep is better than no sleep.

Excuse me. It’s time for a nap. Have to catch up with my sleep deficit.


1 comment:

X. Dell said...

I'd reckon that a farting mask would be far more annoying than actual snoring. Nevertheless, it would be funnier.