Sunday, November 18, 2007


Paul Kimball's Prediction




In a post at his blog, The Other Side Of Truth, Paul Kimball discusses a new book by author Jeremy Vaeni. (Nov. 2, 2007). He soon digresses, making an observation about certain folks in ufology "who seem to be obsessed with the notion that George W. Bush is a fascist anti-Christ." He also adds: "...when he (GWB) leaves office at the end of his term with no fuss, I'll be the first to say ‘I told you so’.”

A prediction, Paul? Gee, how can this be? After all, you took me to task for "predicting" that the war in Iraq would turn out to be a disaster. Of course, since I was considering the history of the region, from the Crusades to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, I should have expected Operation Iraqi Liberation (OIL) was going to be a complete success, no long-term problems. Mission Accomplished!

Be careful with those predictions, Paul.



3 comments:

Ray Palm (Ray X) said...

X. Dell:

I used that image to illustrate Paul Kimball's point of people who think "George W. Bush is a fascist anti-Christ." An extreme view that I don't subscribe to. (Partly because GWB doesn't have a cute little black moustache.)

On second thought maybe I should have skipped the image, even though it was a great attention-getter. (And if you can't get a reader's attention, what's the point of writing anything?) A better choice would've been one of those George as chimp images. [g]

I agree with you there are at least a couple of parallels between Nazi and neo-con globalists. But while debate about Iraq is important, I was bringing up a different subject: pundits who preach and don't practice. Those people who lead others into a dead end war and then say their critics are still wrong, even though those critic's reservations were justified.

Here's the response by Paul Kimball that I mentioned in the post:

"Ray:

I'm sorry, but with respect you're wrong, unless you have some sort of crystal ball that no-one else has. Nobody can predict the future - the best they can do is say that it's their opinion something will happen. My problem is with people who say now that they knew back then that it would all go south. I just don't buy that, because I just don't think you can ever know, although it's easy to say you did in hindsight."

(The link to the post and related comments is redstarfilms.blogspot.com/2007/08/marat-anti-war-scene.html )

Was I absolutely certain that Iraq would turn out to be Vietnam II? Of course not. I never claim to predict the future. But with forethought, not foresight, one can be pretty sure that something bad is going to happen, even though he's not sure about the exact details of how it will unfold.

Anyway, I wonder what kind of crystal ball Paul is using that he knows that GWB will leave at the end of his term with no fuss.

Ray

Paul Kimball said...

I told you so. ;-)

Ray Palm (Ray X) said...

Paul:

Iraq, Afghanistan, economic collapse -- yup, no fusses at all.

Ray